Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Self Defense Thread
Have you been in a lot of fights?  Have you never been in a fight?  Do you take martial arts?  Discuss how you defend yourself here.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My first rule of self defense is to never discuss how you defend yourself with people you know in real life.  You never know when your best friend might one day become your worst enemy and you find yourself in a situation where you have to fend off somebody you once trusted.  The last thing you would want them to know in that situation is what you will do when they try to attack you.

That being said...I know none of you in real life, so this should just be a fun discussion.

I have only been in a handful of fights, none of which had a definite winner or loser to speak of.  They all pretty much just kind of fizzled out with both the attacker and me deciding that there was nothing left to gain and to continue would be a waste of effort that wouldn't yield any truly beneficial result anyway. 

I am a firm believer that when it comes to fighting, you need to play the hand you're dealt without trying to bluff.  If you're not fast, don't try to fight like someone who is.  If you're not strong, don't try to use brute strength.  If you're neither, then you need to run.  That being said...I have always been fat, so speed was never on my side.  For that reason, running or trying to land a solid punch has never been something I tried to do.  However, I have a lot of strength, high endurance, but low stamina.  Taking that into consideration, I try to end fights quickly, and I try to do it with my grip.  So if somebody tries to attack me, I will do whatever I can (while undoubtedly taking a few hits to the chops in the process) to get behind the attacker and wrap an arm around his neck and just pull until he stops moving.  If that doesn't calm him down, I'll bring him to the ground and get on top.  These are how most of the fights I've been involved with have ended. I try to fight with some kind of honor. If someone is down, I don't kick them. If anything, I'll help them up. Worst case scenario, they want to keep going, so I hold on to them until cops arrive. That scenario has never happened.

So I guess the best way to describe my fighting style is not really fighting at all.  I am more of a restrainer or a defuser.

How about you?
I have taken karate and Ju Jitisu and while I'm not a high rank in either in a regular fight you don't need to be. If you hip toss on a piece of concrete someone isn't getting up real quick
I try to avoid fights as best I can (I'm a lover, not a fighter, haha). Running away isn't a great option for me as running isn't something I can do well since messing up my ankle years ago. But I do have a story...

I managed not to get into a fight for years, until April this year. I tried to walk away from the guy but he followed me for over half a mile shouting abuse and coming in with the occasional punch. I took a few, blocked a few, and just kept on going. Until I was nearly home safe, but he backed me into a corner and came in fists flying.

I knew it was time to sink or swim so I released all my built up frustration and adrenaline in a flurry of punches that caught him by surprise and took him back. I knew that if I didn't want to just make things worse for myself I had to neutralise him so I sort of went into psycho mode. We were both quite drunk so as he was backing off and I was advancing and continuing to rain blows on him, he tripped and fell backwards. He grabbed me and pulled me so I fell on top of him (dislocating both my little fingers with the awkward landing, but I didn't realise till later).

I raised myself up and was basically straddling him and continuing to punch down at him like something out of a movie fight scene. He was trying to hit back up at me and get me off. He managed to push me sideways and then it was a struggle with us both trying to get above the other. I was just about back on top when my girlfriend ran out of the house and pulled me off him and ordered me into the house. He threw his empty bottle at my head but thankfully missed. It hit the neighbours window, the neighbour came out and chased after him, caught him and pushed him up against a wall to shout at him. The neighbour didn't do anything to him but apparently when he came back his shirt was covered in blood. He said the guy was just blood from the neck up from what I had done to him.

I didn't know until a short while after, but in between me going inside and the neighbour coming out, in his rage and defeat he kicked the mirror off my car and smashed the windscreen. The car was 4 months old with less than 3000 miles on the clock. I was not amused to say the least.

He went to hospital and got 5 stitches in his head and supposedly was left with a cauliflower ear. My girlfriend and I called the police and they came and took a statement and then they went to find him in hospital. The police were brilliant and even called me again a week later to see how I was doing, and said they had no doubt that he was the bad guy in it all. Unfortunately there was nothing they could do about my car as there were no witnesses but I feel the repair work to the car was a small price to pay for the satisfaction of teaching the guy a well needed lesson.

Maybe he'll think twice before picking on someone he thinks is easy prey...
Damn Coopz, that blows about your window/mirror... It's nice the rozzers were behind you on that though, wonder if the guy had a record. You mentioned you were both drinking, I thought that was implied since you were in Scotland?? It's like Wisconsin here LOLOL.

Quote:My first rule of self defense is to never discuss how you defend yourself with people you know in real life. You never know when your best friend might one day become your worst enemy and you find yourself in a situation where you have to fend off somebody you once trusted. The last thing you would want them to know in that situation is what you will do when they try to attack you.

Very, very true.

But I'll do it anyway.

As a guy who is 6'5" and 270 lbs (I'm not looking up the conversion, deal with my quaint units of measurement) -- most people won't harass me anyways. I'm fantastic at doing what I call "alpha male-ing", or just staring down people. I've been in the ghetto and got that friendly "head bob" from thugs because of my disinterest in breaking the stare.

I've told people "I'll fucking sit on you" which harks back to the elementary school ages, and seems to be a hilarious threat.

If all else fails, act like you're having a tourettes-induced face seizure. You'd have to be stupid to mess with somebody that much on the edge.

Then, defense/offense kicks in, I did some karate. I feel stupid even thinking about how it looks (I'm not remotely Asian), so I probably wouldn't leverage that knowledge unless I was desperate.
^I wish I was taller. I am 5'10" and 328 pounds, so I'm not a little guy by any definition. But I still wish I was able to just loom over people like that. But as stated earlier...I need to play the cards I'm dealt. So I let my very broad shoulders do the talking.
I'm 5'2" and no one wants to fight me. Arm wrestle and lose
is ok, just no fights...
Paradoxically I enjoy horseplay and a bit of sparring, but hate real fighting and violence. My semi autistic brain is either void of all emotion or purely driven by it at maximum intensity when containment fails, making me capable of some nasty shit in the heat of the moment. Most of my life has been spent building the self control to not fly off the handle at the slightest provocation, I'm talking real life retard strength here. Up until I was 10/11 I was only capable of expressing anger and frustration as blackout rage, and had to be restrained. I would struggle so hard some grown adults had trouble keeping me down, and some of my muscles would hurt badly the next day.

As a kid I was small and scrappy, easy enough to smack around but I fought dirty, biting, scratching, eye poking, and endless kicks to the balls that don't stop even when you're down. In year (grade?) 9 puberty kicked in full throttle and I went from a runt to one of the biggest guys in school in under a year, but my fighting style and retard strength remained. ould be bullies stopped getting physical and scaled down to just shouting at me from a distance, probably something to do with one guy that gave me shit for years being thrown against a door hard enough to break the window on it, then strangled until several people pulled me off him.

My late teens were pretty dark, not proud of that period. Got kicked out of college after breaking a keyboard and a desk with my face during a breakdown, then fired from a series of shitty jobs. So to make money I delivered weed by the ounce on my motorbike to the nearby dealers in and around my fairly rural hometown, a lot of them were scummy and violent, so in the space of 15 months I had several scuffles and standoffs, perhaps 4 of them real fights, and jumped in retaliation after one of them by a smackhead with a cricket bat. Luckily when you're 6'2", 220lbs, and often wearing armoured riding gear, those situations are generally in your favour. Fighting is unpleasant even when you have the advantage though, one guy I broke a couple of his ribs kicking him while he was down, I heard the crack and nearly vomited realising what I did.

The turning point that made me question my life choices was having coked out titan of a Polish guy (fucker was at least 6'9") screaming in my face while holding a bowie knife to my throat. Made the mistake of calling his bluff, so he put down the knife and instead stabbed me in the thigh with a large screwdriver, kneed me in the stomach, then threw me down the stairs to his flat. The scar has healed but there's a visible indent on my leg where the quad was torn from me running like hell with a hole in it. Went back to my dealer and told him I was done, returned to college, actually did well, then went on to university. Amazing how hard you can bounce off of rock bottom. Well there was some other shit as well but I'm not going into that.

To reiterate I hate violence and now avoid it at all costs, sadly barely a month in to university one pisshead in a club tried it on with me because I talked to a girl he liked. He waited outside for me to come out, tried smack talk and shoving, I guess trying to get me to throw the first punch, but I've had enough of that shit and just want the guy to go away. My new flatmates were watching and I didn't want to scare them off, so instead let him go to town on me, only blocking hits to my face and crotch. He tried grappling me twice so I threw him to the floor hard each time, he got the message the second time, did the classic walking away smack talk that he would come back for me yada yada.

All has been well since, rest of uni went by without any other unpleasantries other than the usual student shenanigans. don't go out much these days nor do I associate with the dregs of society anymore, so hopefully no more fighting in the near future.
I apologise to Banned since he was hoping for a fun discussion, but streetfighting is honourless and savage.

Coopz you did good, the damage to the car was petty but he still gets to go to bed at night remembering he got what he deserved.
The best fight is the one you can end quickly. Walk away if you can, defuse if you can't If all else fails a punch to the throat of solar plexus takes the fight out of anyone.
Toasty Wrote:Damn Coopz, that blows about your window/mirror... It's nice the rozzers were behind you on that though, wonder if the guy had a record. You mentioned you were both drinking, I thought that was implied since you were in Scotland?? It's like Wisconsin here LOLOL.

Haha, very true. I happen to be drinking right now. Well actually, I've just finished one, time for another....

Chaos Wrote:Coopz you did good, the damage to the car was petty but he still gets to go to bed at night remembering he got what he deserved.

Thanks dude. Yes, that makes it all worthwhile. The car repairs were a small price to pay for teaching him a much needed lesson.